My ER Visit

This has been a whirlwind of a weekend for me.  Sat. morning about midnight I woke up with extreme  pain in my chest that radiated down through my rib cage.  I wasn't sure what was wrong and was very disoriented.   I tried standing up, bending over, lying back down, but nothing eased it.  It just came out of the blue and I had no idea what it was.

My hubby was sleeping and I felt horrible about having to wake him up.  But the pain wasn't going away.  I went downstairs about 12:30 AM to wake him up and tell him I thought I needed to go to the ER.  It was a mad rush of waking up two sleeping kids, putting some things in the diaper bag, and rushing to the hospital.  Needless to say, we were both tired and scared.

They put me ahead in the screening process in case I was having a heart attack.  I was hooked up to an EKG, blood was drawn, and then I was put back out in the waiting room to wait.  It was the most painful experience I've felt in my life (even more than having two babies).   I couldn't get comfortable in the waiting room chair no matter what position I was in; it was excruciating.   And the pain was only getting worse.

They finally wheeled me back to an ER room alone.  The wait to get an IV with some pain meds took forever....and my family couldn't come back to see me.  The nurse had said probably 20 minutes or so before they could come see me.  It was more like 2 hours before I was able to get some pain relief and have my family come sit with me.  I was glad I had my cell phone so I could text my hubby, see how the kids were doing, and let him know what was happening.

They took me for a chest XRay and then an ultrasound.  It turns out that my heart was fine.  All the chest pain I was having was caused by my gall bladder.  The ultrasound showed a stone and my blood levels showed that my liver enzymes were slightly elevated.  But there wasn't any infection or blockage that they could see.  

(I took these photos on my cell phone to distract myself while I was alone waiting for my family to be allowed in the room.  I was under a good pain killer at that point so some of the photos I took were pretty amusing.  I'll spare you my drug-induced silly pictures.)

After about 5 hours at the ER, I was able to go home.  I was told to call a surgeon today and that I would most likely need to have my gall bladder taken out.

The surgeon agreed and said I should have it out sooner rather than later.  So I am madly trying to find a babysitter for my daughter, making arrangements for my son, and trying to wrap my mind around having surgery.  This will be my second outpatient surgery and I am really dreading it.  I already know how I react to anesthesia and I am not looking forward to going under the knife.  

I will probably be MIA for this week.  I am sorry that I will be behind on some blog posts, emails and drawing winners.  But I will get to them all as soon as possible.

Please say a prayer/send some healing positive thoughts for me while I go through this.  I'd really appreciate that and it will help ease my nerves.  Thanks so much friends!
7 comments on "My ER Visit"
  1. I'm praying for you and hope you have a swift recovery!

  2. I hope you feel better soon, how dreadful!

  3. i sure feel for you i went through that and it is no fun. i hope and pray that everything goes ok for you. be sure and let us know how you are when you feel like it, other wise, do as the doc. says and take it easy for awhile.

  4. i feel for you. i know how that hurts, i had it and i felt as tho i was dying. i hope and pray that everything will come out ok. let us know how you do when you feel like it. first do as the doc. says and get well real quick.

  5. Wow, Shelly, I'm so sorry to hear this. But thankfully they were able to figure out what was wrong, and they'll be able to take care of it.

    Keeping you close in prayer. (((hugs)))

  6. I'm praying God provides His peace, healing, and protection over you and your family! I'm sure you'll do great! On a side note, my friend went through this...nearly the exact same circumstances....and she was up and moving around, weak but ready to go shopping by day 2, haha. Wishing you a speedy recovery!


Thanks for dropping by my attic! I love comments! Please keep them family-friendly. By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only.