It never seems to fail that just when you get one child healthy again, the other comes down with something. This week, my son came home from school early with a nauseous stomach and a fever. His fever progressed to about 101-102, he began shivering, and was flushed. It's difficult watching your child go through a nasty virus like this.
I had just finished disinfecting all of The Attic Baby's toys, as she was getting over a cold with a constant runny nose alternating with congestion. You can see here that I disinfected all the Easter eggs along with her kitchen toys. Instead of wiping them down one by one, I filled up the sink with hot water and some bleach, soaked them, and laid them out to dry.
It's back to square one this week in the cleaning department. I've been cleaning like a mad woman in preperation for a visit from the in-laws. I'm not only doing spring cleaning and house-guest prep, but I'm doing health cleaning to hopefully get rid of the germs and keep this virus from spreading.
I rely on LYSOL products for moments like this to keep my family healthy. Healthing, LYSOL's mission for health, goes beyond just cleaning and looks at proper disinfection steps to keep your family well.
Here are some great Healthing Tips I've been implementing lately in my home from LYSOL:
- Don’t let spring cleaning overwhelm you - take it one room at a time and stock up on products that will help you to get the job done effectively, including LYSOL® products, paper towels, sponges, and trash bags.
- Know the difference between cleaning and disinfecting! Both are important components of the Healthing process and LYSOL® has products that can help with all related tasks. While cleaning and organizing is certainly important, killing germs on commonly touched surfaces can lower the risk of spreading bacteria and viruses between members of the family.
- Start with the basics – wipe down easy to reach surfaces and then move onto the little nooks and crannies.
- Remember to dust around wall art, photographs and woodwork.
- Use a disinfectant product, like LYSOL® Disinfecting Wipes, to help ensure you’re killing germs as you clean, and think beyond the usual places. Be sure to clean even the smallest surfaces, such as light switches.
- Don’t forget to disinfect places that you don’t see or think about often, like the door knobs, cabinet handles or sink drains.
- Make it a family activity and tailor tasks to specific age groups. Give younger children simpler, one-step tasks like dusting or picking toys up off the floor, and save the more complex jobs, such as vacuuming, scrubbing, and disinfecting for older members of the family.
- Remember to practice proper hand washing as well after you clean, either with soap and water for 20 seconds or a hand sanitizer. Hand washing is the single most important thing you can do to prevent illness, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
For more information about Healthing or additional resources to help keep your family healthy, please visit www.lysol.com/healthing
To help spread the word about Healthing, LYSOL connected with over 65,000 schools to promote healthy habits and good hygiene. They have also provided educational programs to reach 50% of new moms with great information on newborn care and keeping babies healthy.
In addition, Giuliana Rancic has partnered with LYSOL to visit YMCA's across the country to demonstrate Healthing in action. At each YMCA location, LYSOL provides attendees with hands-on education about products and steps required to practice improved hygiene habits in their own home. They try to make this fun and easy for kids (a great way to build healthy habits!).
LYSOL will also provide educational information and disinfecting products to the local YMCAs, along with the donation of a one-year membership to a deserving family. Isn't that great?
You can get involved in LYSOL's Healthing Initiative too.
Find out more:
LYSOL's Facebook Page
Download the LYSOL Guidebook: What is Healthing?
What tips do you have for Healthing in your home?