I remember the first time I saw the movie Phantom of the Opera. I absolutely adored the music, but especially Emmy Rossum's beautiful voice. She is incredibly talented and I could listen to her sing for days.
Her latest release, Sentimental Journey, is coming out Jan. 29th. (Isn't that cover gorgeous?)
Each track on the album represents a month in the year and takes you through the American songbook with classics by some of the most beloved artists of the last century.
Sentimental Journey Track Listing:
- “Sentimental Journey” (Les Brown, Ben Homer, Arthur Green)
- “The Object Of My Affection” (Pinky Tomlin)
- “I’m Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover “(Mort Dixon, Harry M. Woods)
- “These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)” (Eric Maschwitz, Jack Strachey)
- “(I’ll Be With You) In Apple Blossom Time” (Albert Von Tilzer, Neville Fleeson)
- “Summer Wind” (Heinz Meier, Johnny Mercer)
- “Many Tears Ago” (Winfield Scott)
- “All I Do Is Dream Of You” (Nacio Herb Brown, Arthur Freed)
- “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out” (Jimmy Cox)
- “Autumn Leaves” (Joseph Kosma, Jacques Prévert)
- “Things” (Bobby Darin)
- “Pretty Paper” (Willie Nelson)
I have to admit that I only recognized a couple of these songs. It isn't my usual style of music choice, but I like to mix things up too. My hubby and I played it during dinner the other night and it really set a fun tone to the dinner table. My two year old was dancing around to the swingier tunes and she had a blast! (She definitely has an opinion about what she likes and doesn't like; I think she's become an Emmy fan)
My favorite songs were "Sentimental Journey", "These Foolish Things" and "Pretty Paper." Emmy Rossum is so expressive with her voice and really draws you in! And the lyrics from these classic songs are beautifully timeless.
I am a huge fan of period movies and shows like Downton Abbey because of the historical elements, gorgeous costumes, and beautiful settings. If you're a fan of these too, you may love "These Foolish Things" as much as I do:
"Each song needed to either lyrically or emotionally reflect the corresponding month," Emmy explained. "Some songs were obvious fits, like Summer Wind for June, and Pretty Paper for December. Others songs were less literal fits. I chose Nobody Knows You (When You're Down and Out) for September because, to me, the plaintive melody and lyric emotionally reflect the cold weather creeping in and the sense of melancholy we can get in the fall months."
If you're an Emmy fan, you won't want to miss these upcoming Tv and Movie appearances:
- Emmy will performing a track from Sentimental Journey on Access Hollywood Live on January 25th
- Emmy will also be appearing as a guest on Conan on January 28th, Chelsea Lately on January 29th, and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on February 6th.
- She also stars alongside Emma Thompson and Viola Davis in the upcoming feature film Beautiful Creatures, which hits theaters on February 13th.
You can preorder Sentimental Journey now on iTunes and Amazon just in time for Valentine's Day gift giving!
Disclosure: I participated in this campaign for One2One Network. I received a free copy of the CD to facilitate my review. By posting, I am eligible for incentives. All opinions stated are my own.