Water is a vital need to sustain life. Clean drinking water is something we probably take for granted every day in the US. All we have to do is turn on the faucet and water is available to us to drink, clean our dishes, take a bath or a shower, and do our laundry. But people in other parts of the world are not as fortunate. Some have to walk miles to find fresh water every day.
Did you know that the average distance people in the developing world, often women and children, have to walk to find water is 6 kilometers (approx 3.7 miles)? The walk can be tiring and dangerous, and the water is often contaminated with life-threatening diseases. It's unfathomable!
|Photo Credit: World Vision|
Just take a moment to think about having to walk nearly four miles just to have a glass of water. Imagine that water not being drinkable, and causing diarrhea or other worse health problems. The death of any child from a lack of clean water is unconscionable.
World Vision is having a Global 6K to help bring awareness to this issue and raise money to support people who live in struggling areas.
On Saturday, May 6, 2017, 40,000 people from around the globe will join together to walk or run 6 kilometers to raise awareness of the global water crisis and support World Vision's water initiatives through the World Vision Global 6K for Water.
Each participant's $50 registration fee supports World Vision's water programs. Participants will receive a Global 6K for Water t-shirt, a race bib with a photo of a child he or she can sponsor, and a race medal by mail.
Make a Difference
Why am I sharing this with you? In the hopes that you will join your church group, friends, or school to make a difference.
World Vision believes the global water and sanitation crisis can be solved within our lifetime. World Vision provides a new person with clean water every 30 seconds as part of a full solution to end poverty. In 2015, World Vision provided access to clean water to 2.3 million people, and the organization’s goal is to provide clean water and sanitation to one new person every 10 seconds by 2020.
How Can You Help?
- Become a Global 6K Host Site: Work together with your church, school, community center or run club to register as a host site (it’s free!) and spread the word about how fun and easy it is to support clean water programs around the world! Whether your goal is 10 or 100 people, World Vision will equip you with all the marketing materials, race day signage and staff support for a successful race day. If you can’t become a host site, considering running or walking with other Global 6K for Water participants at a host site near you.
- Start a Global 6K Virtual Team: Invite friends and family all around the country to join your “team” even though you will each be walking or running from your own neighborhoods on race day. Even those who wish to participate individually, whether on a treadmill or around the neighborhood, can take part in a global effort to support clean water!
- Turn Coffee into Clean Water: Even small amounts of money can make a big difference for families around the world. Once a week, put the money that might normally be used to purchase your morning latte toward a “clean water fund.” Over the course of a year, you could set aside as much as $250 to support World Vision’s water programs.
- Change a Life Through Child Sponsorship: Poverty is complex and rarely solved by one intervention. Sponsoring a child is a long-term way to get involved with World Vision and help a child – and his or her entire community – benefit from things like clean water through new or renovated wells, school fees and supplies, better education due to restored schools and teacher training, improved nutrition due to agricultural training, and healthcare clinics and immunizations.
- Become a Part of Team World Vision: The Global 6K for Water is just one event organized by Team World Vision, a group of passionate people who run, walk and race to help children get clean water. Join Team World Vision for support in reaching your own fitness goals while helping others around the world.
I hope you'll consider joing the Global 6K for Water in your community. Click here to sign up.
To learn more about World Vision’s water programs, visit: https://www.worldvision.org/our-work/clean-water?campaign=108929307.
One reader will win a Global 6K Water Bottle & T-Shirt to raise awareness and participate
Just use the Giveaway Tools form below. You must be a US resident 18 or older to enter. You must complete each task entirely or your entries will not count.
This giveaway is not in any way associated with or endorsed by Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter. Giveaway Ends 5/8/17 at 11:59 PM EST. US Residents **18 and older** only may enter. One entry per household and IP address. Winner will be drawn using random.org and will have **48 hrs** to respond to email or another winner will be chosen. Entries are verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. The Attic Girl is not responsible/liable for prize delivery. Prize may take 6-12 weeks to ship from the sponsor. By entering the giveaway, you agree to the Giveaway terms/rules.
Disclosure: I received promotional items in exchange for sharing this important information. No other compensation was received and all opinions are my own. World Vision is providing the giveaway prize. For more info. see my Disclosure Policy.